Each zodiac sign has one (or two) ruling planets that exert greater influence over it than other planets.
The ruling planet is also known as the dominant, governing, or rising planet of the sign, as well as the astrological domicile of the zodiac sign.
In this article, we will take a deeper look at Libra’s ruling planet Venus, its energy & nature, and the influence that it exerts over Libra in everyday life.
So if you want to:
- Know more about Venus, the ruling planet of Libra.
- Understand the nature & energy of Venus, as well as the positive and negative traits that it has.
- Learn when it’s best to use the influence of the planet to your benefit.
Then read with attention. Important truths are often hidden in small details.
Ready? Let’s get started…
Libra’s Ruling Planet Venus in Astrology
Libra is a planet associated with charm and relationships. Librans are known to be people with impeccable taste in things. They are the pursuers of beauty and harmony and they appreciate healthy partnerships with people around them. This makes them amicable and sociable.
While they place huge importance on personal relationships, they are also champions of social justice and it is not uncommon to find them raising voice on issues that impact a good number of people.
The love of beauty, courtesy of its ruling planet Venus, manifests in the form of artistic expression for Librans and you will see them being drawn to various art forms. Venus shares these qualities with Libra as it is a planet known for its sensuality and its love for finer things in life.
Venus in Astrology: Quick Facts
Venus is a very popular planet and for anyone remotely interested in astrology, here are a few quick facts:
- Color: White
- Nature: Sensual, beautiful, harmonious, passionate, aesthetic
- Metal: Copper
- Precious Stone: Diamond, opal
- Ruling Planet Of: Libra, Taurus
Venus’ Sun Orbit
Venus is the second planet from the Sun and is even visible to the naked eye in broad daylight. It lies within the orbit of the Earth and is in proximity to the Sun at all times. This planet orbits the Sun every 225 Earth days. Interestingly, Venus is the only planet in the solar system that takes longer to rotate about its axis.
Venus is not a generational planet. Instead, it is a terrestrial planet that is also called Earth’s sister because it shares a lot of physical attributes to that of the Earth.
Venus Rules the Seventh House
Venus rules the seventh house. Being your ruling planet, Venus shows what you like and what you are drawn to. If you have planets in the seventh house, Venus will tell you things about yourself. These refer to not just positive things but also things that are not so positive.
Venus Positive Traits
Venus is the goddess of love and is known to influence two key areas in the lives of those it governs i.e. money and love. Here are some other positive traits associated with Venus that you must know about:
- Self-growth: Venus is a planet that propels its subjects towards self-growth. This is the reason you see Librans engaged in a range of pursuits that are fulfilling.
- Expressive: Venus is the goddess of love and beauty and this imbues people it governs with the gift of gab. These people are expressive and do not hold back in expressing what they want and seek from life. They put forth their desires confidently and go after them with a firm resolution.
- Affectionate: Venus is known for its sensuality and grace. This planet is also known for its affectionate nature and it can be seen in both the zodiac sign it governs.
- Generous: Venus bestows its subjects with generosity. These people are eager to help others and want to leave a legacy in society.
- Tactful: The ones who have Venus as their ruling planet can stun you through their tact and diplomacy. This helps them get out of difficult situations with ease.
Venus Negative Traits
Though Venus has several positive traits, there are some downsides associated with this ruling planet. Here are a few of them:
- Insecure: Venus can make people insecure in relationships. This may have to do with the fact that these people are a bit of a loner and stay aloof.
- Underconfident: If Venus is not in a favorable position, it may make people underconfident in key areas of their life. People may experience problems in their personal and professional lives as a result of this.
- Spendthrift: Those who are under the heavy influence of Venus can sometimes be careless with their money. This is why these people need to be cautious with money and not spend it as they please.
- Hardships: A weak Venus can sometimes make people suffer hardships in life. Their efforts may not always be rewarded in the form that they would like and that can lead to a lot of issues.
- Fraudulent activities: The malefic effects of Venus can make people susceptible to issues such as gambling and cheating. They may lose their jobs or even face turbulence in their closest relationships.
Energies of Venus
Venus is known for its magnetic energy. These people are great at attracting others through their sensuality and beauty. And do not confuse their attraction for only physical things, these people are beautiful inside out and that manifests in the energy they exude.
Venus Keywords: Beauty, Serenity, Femininity, Tranquility, Grace
Venus is one of the most sensuous planets in the solar system. It is known as the goddess of grace and beauty and that manifests in everything and everyone that the planet governs.
Venus in Libra governs the pursuit of pleasure, romance, marriage, harmony and sensuality. These people are known for their gentleness and tact and social graces that are unmatched. Sometimes, though, these people may be afflicted by indecisiveness and possessiveness about their partners. This, however, subsides once the stars are more favorably aligned.
Venus Home Position
Venus is in domicile in Libra and Taurus. This means that the planet is most comfortable in these signs and is positively placed. When this happens, you will see Librans and Taureans exhibiting positive traits associated with Venus such as beauty, grace and tact.
Venus is in detriment in Scorpio and Aries but this is Venus that is far from its usual self. It is jealous, temperamental and insecure.
Venus is the most powerful and impactful in Pisces. This exaltation begins with zero degrees of Pisces and goes up to 27 degrees. 27 degrees determines the highest exaltation of Venus.
Venus is in fall in Virgo. This has been associated with a lot of uncharacteristic and unappealing qualities. People who get influenced by this equation can be seen facing troubles in their relationships and struggling with issues of equality.
Venus spends the smallest amount of time in retrograde. It retrogrades once every eighteen months and when this planet is in retrograde issues with money and love life may creep up. It is very common for people to face seemingly insurmountable odds when Venus is in retrograde.
For instance, if one is in a stable romantic relationship, they may find themselves in unexpected situations where their relationship is put to the test. This time should be used effectively and carefully!
Frequently Asked Questions
Astrology is fascinating. Getting to know about planets, their placement and the influence they have on our lives can be deeply fascinating and interesting. Here are a few quick questions that may enhance your understanding of ruling planets. Read on!
What Is a Ruling Planet and What Does It Do, Anyway?
Each of the twelve sun signs has a ruling planet as per astrology. This ruling planet determines the personalities of the people it governs and is responsible for determining the quirks and personality traits of its subjects.
How Are Ruling Planets Assigned?
Northern Hemisphere seasons assign the ruling planets of different zodiac signs.
Why Do Some Signs Have Two Ruling Planets?
Some signs have both a modern-day planetary ruler and an ancient ruler that governs it. This interplay leads to a few zodiac signs having two ruling planets. Some examples of planets that govern two zodiac signs include Virgo, Scorpio and Pisces.
Ancient vs Modern Ruling Planets: What You Need to Know?
Astrology is an ever-evolving field. The debate between ancient and modern ruling planets can be settled by understanding and tracing this evolution. Initially, astrologers recognized seven classical planets. As time evolved and with advancements in the field of astrology, astrologers widened their knowledge to include transcendental planets in the equation.
These later discoveries, such as Uranus, came to be known as the modern ruling planets.
The Final Word
Venus is the ruling planet of Libra and it determines the key influences on the people who have this as their zodiac sign. The influence of Venus makes Librans sympathetic, romantic and friendly.